Navya. K, Manjula.S
Mrs. Navya. K1, Dr. Manjula.S2
1Lecturer, Medical Surgical Nursing, Thiruhrudaya College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala.
2Professor, Medical Surgical Nursing, KMCT College of Nursing, Kozhikode, Kerala.
Volume - 2,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
The present study was undertaken to assess the effectiveness of Inhalation Aromatherapy on quality of sleep and fatigue among elderly. The objectives of the study were to assess the level of quality of sleep and fatigue, evaluate the effectiveness of Inhalation Aromatherapy, correlate quality of sleep and fatigue, and find the association between quality of sleep and fatigue with demographic variables. Pre-experimental one group pre-test post-test design was used for this study. Purposive sampling technique was used and 40 elderly people were taken from the Kripa Charitable Trust, Kannur. In pretest, Modified Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and Fatigue Severity Scale were used for assessing the quality of sleep and fatigue. Investigator administered Inhalation Aromatherapy by applying one drop of lavender angustifolia essential oil on a piece of cotton and placed under the pillow at the night before sleep for a period of 5 days. Posttest was done on 6thday. Descriptive and inferential statistics were used to analyze the findings of the study. The result revealed that the Mean Pretest MPSQI score (10.38) and the Mean Pretest FSS score (43.3) were significantly higher than the Mean Posttest MPSQI score (7.95) and the Mean PosttestFSSscore (40.8). Thecomputed ‘t’valuefor MPSQI was4.38 and FSS score was 2.99 (t39=1.685 at 0.05 level of significance). It indicated that there was a significant increase in the quality of sleep and decrease in level of fatigue after Inhalation Aromatherapy. There was a significant high positive correlation found between pretest quality of sleep and level of fatigue (r=0.849), and no association between quality of sleep and level of fatigue with demographic variables. The findings of the study interpreted that the practice of Inhalation Aromatherapyiseffective in improving the sleep quality and reducing fatigue among elderly residing in old age home.
Cite this article:
Navya. K, Manjula.S. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Inhalation Aromatherapy on Quality of Sleep and Fatigue among Elderly Residing in selected Old Age Homes of Kannur District. A and V Pub International Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2023; 2(2):35-0. doi: 10.52711/ijnmr.2023.10
Navya. K, Manjula.S. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Inhalation Aromatherapy on Quality of Sleep and Fatigue among Elderly Residing in selected Old Age Homes of Kannur District. A and V Pub International Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2023; 2(2):35-0. doi: 10.52711/ijnmr.2023.10 Available on: https://ijnmronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-2-2-4
1. Braverman J. The human lifecycle stages. 2017 June 14 available from: https://www.livestrong.Com
2. World population aging 2017(UN) highlights. Department of economics and social welfare available from http://www.un.org>desa publications
3. Andrew Steploe, Angus deaton, Arthur A stone. Psychological Wellbeing, Health and Ageing. Lancet; 2017 Feb 17:640-648
4. Fatigue. Gale Encyclopaedia of Mental Disorders. Available from http://www. Encyclopedia.com
5. Sleep deprivation and deficiency. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute available at http://www.nhibi. Nih.gov/health topics/sleep deprivation and deficiency
6. Christian Nordqvist. Aromatherapy. Medical News Today; 2017 March 20 available from http://www.medical today .com
7. Victor Marchione. Fatigue in elderly; cause and how to treat it. Bel Marra Health. 2017 March 16, available from http://www. Belmarra health.com/fatigue-tiredness-elderly
8. Takenda A, Watanaki E, Koyama S. Effect of Inhalation Aromatherapy on symptoms of sleep disturbance in elderly with dementia, Journal of Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2017 march 19; doi-10.115/2017/1902807
9. Vineeth Joseph, Jasmine Joseph. Effectiveness of aromatherapy on quality of sleep among elderly inmates of selected old age home. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2016; 6(4): 511
10. Kabiri F, Hasanpour-Debkordi A. Effect of massage therapy and aromatherapy on fatigue in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Herbel Pharmacology 2018;7(3):141-147
11. Cherif I, Hamdi W, Zouch I. Correlation between sleep disturbance, fatigue, and psychological features in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Disease. 2014 june;73(2):646
12. G A Hawker, French M R et al. The multidimensionality of sleep quality and its relationship to fatigue in older adults with painful osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010 Nov;18(11):1365-71