C. Srilatha, N. Sucharitha, K. Sesha Kumar
Email ID Not Available
C. Srilatha1, N. Sucharitha2, K. Sesha Kumar3
1Associate Professor, AECS Maaruti College of Nursing, Bangalore.
2Associate Professor, AECS Maaruti College of Nursing, Bangalore.
3Community Health Officer, HWC- Valligatla, Chittoor Dt, Andhra Pradesh.
Volume - 1,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
PBL (Problem Based Learning) is an instructional student centered approach which uses carefully constructed clinical problems as a context to define their learning needs, conduct self-enquiry, integrate theory and practice, and apply knowledge and skills to develop a solution to a defined problem. It is the process of acquiring new knowledge based on recognition of a need to learn. The problem comes first without advance readings, lectures or preparation. Problems should be appropriate to the stage of the curriculum and the level of the students' understanding. Scenarios should have sufficient intrinsic interest for the students or relevance to future practice. Problem Based Learning is one of the advanced teaching strategy where the nurse teacher uses in implementation of students curricular/ academic activity with an aim to achieve sound result of students in solving a problem / scenarios. This may be different kind but it should be student oriented, ultimate goal is to improve the strength of students’ knowledge. Presently this type of strategies were practicing much in educational institution, service developments and research areas.
Cite this article:
C. Srilatha, N. Sucharitha, K. Sesha Kumar. Problem Based Learning (PBL) in Nursing Education. A and V Pub International Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2022; 1(1):13-7. doi: 10.52711/ijnmr.2022.04
C. Srilatha, N. Sucharitha, K. Sesha Kumar. Problem Based Learning (PBL) in Nursing Education. A and V Pub International Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2022; 1(1):13-7. doi: 10.52711/ijnmr.2022.04 Available on: https://ijnmronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-1-1-4
1. Abu Hijleh, M.F., Kassa. S. et.al. Evaluation of the Teaching Strategy of Cardiovascular System in A Problem Based Curriculum: Student Perception. Advances in Physiology Education. 2004; 28 (2): 59-63. Available From : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15149961/
2. Albanese, M. Problem Based Learning: Why Curricula Are Likely To Show Little Effect on Knowledge and Clinical Skills. Medical Education. 2000; 34: 729-738. Available from: https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.475.1157&rep=rep1&type=pdf
3. Albanese, M.A., Mitchell, S. Problem Based Learning: A Review of Literature on Its Outcomes and Implementation Issues. Academic Medicine: Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges. 1993; 68 (1): 52- 81. Available From: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8447896/
4. Azer, S.A. The Qualities of A Good Teacher: How can they be Acquired and Sustained? Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 2005; 98: 679. Available From: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15684362/
5. In Soo Shin, Jung Hee Kim. The Effect of Problem Based Learning in Nursing Education: A Meta Analysis. Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2013; 18 (5): 1103-1120. Available From: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10459-012-9436-2
6. Ehrenberg, Marianne. Nurse Education in Practice. Problem-based learning in clinical nursing education: Integrating theory and practice. 2007; 7: 67–74. Available From: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/16322981.pdf
7. Sathya P, Reddemma K. Development of problem based learning training module in nursing education. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2017; 5: 1986-90. Available From: https://www.msjonline.org/index.php/ijrms/article/viewFile/2934/2875
8. Sivasubramanian. N. Evidence Based Nursing Education and Practice. Asian Journal of Nursing Education & Research. 2011; 1(1): 9-22. Available From: https://ajner.com/HTMLPaper.aspx?Journal=Asian%20Journal%20of%20Nursing%20Education%20and%20Research;PID=2011-1-1-7
9. Chris Thomas. Problem Based Learning in Nursing. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2016; 4(4): 499-501. Available From: https://ijneronline.com/HTMLPaper.aspx?Journal=International%20Journal%20of%20Nursing%20Education%20and%20Research;PID=2016-4-4-22