Context: Studies consistently show the negative health impact of sleep problems in both Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients and their caregivers. Pumpkin seeds provide natural source of tryptophan, an amino acid that promotes sleep. Methods: The research design used for the present study was true experimental design. The total sample size was 60 subjects, out of which 30 in experimental group and 30 in control group. Study subjects was assigned randomly to either experimental group (n=30) or control group (n=30). Pretest was conducted by using demographic variables and Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. Experimental group received dyadic sleep intervention for 30-40 minutes, for the period of 3 months. Pumpkin seed balls were given twice a day, for 3 months. Control group received standard methods of care. Posttest was conducted at the end of 1st month, 2nd month and 3rd month by using the same assessment tool in experimental and control group. Results: Paired ‘t’ test, and repeated measures ANOVA showed statistical significance in improving the sleep quality in experimental group comparatively to the control group among patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
Cite this article:
Sampoornam. W. Effectiveness of dyadic sleep intervention and pumpkin seed balls on sleep quality among patients with Alzheimer’s disease in selected Alzheimer’s care centres at Coimbatore, India. A and V Pub International Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2023; 2(1):6-8. doi: 10.52711/ijnmr.2023.02
Sampoornam. W. Effectiveness of dyadic sleep intervention and pumpkin seed balls on sleep quality among patients with Alzheimer’s disease in selected Alzheimer’s care centres at Coimbatore, India. A and V Pub International Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2023; 2(1):6-8. doi: 10.52711/ijnmr.2023.02 Available on: https://ijnmronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-2-1-2
1. Diem SJ, Blackwell TL, Stone KL, et al. Measures of sleep-wake patterns and risk of mild cognitive impairment or dementia in older women. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016; 24(3):248–258.
2. Yeonsu Song. A Dyadic sleep Intervention for Alzheimer's Disease Patients and Their Caregivers. Ongoing RCT. 2021.
3. Yeonsu Song, Susan M Mccurry, Diane Lee and Karen R. Josephson. Development of a dyadic sleep intervention for Alzheimer’s disease patients and their caregivers. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2019; 43(2):1-11.
4. Salami, O., Lyketsos, C., and Rao, V. Treatment of sleep disturbance in Alzheimer's dementia. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2011; 26(8): 771–782.
5. Shemi George. Supplementary effect of pumpkin seeds on Memory function in animal and human models. Final report of a minor research project submitted to university grants commission. Bangalore. 2014.